South Road surface roads
New surface roads are being constructed between Tait Street and Packard Avenue, and between Regency Road and the Regency Oval on the western side of South Road, and between Overland Road and Regency Road on the eastern side of South Road.
Since December 2019, preparation works have been taking place in the land adjacent to South Road, to widen the road and facilitate the construction of the new surface roads and Regency Road overpass.
Preparation works include:
- removal of road medians and installation of temporary road kerb and gutter;
- removal of right turns to/from side streets along South Road;
- repainting of road line marking to indicate lane changes;
- change of traffic signals at the intersection of Regency Road and South Road;
- temporary removal of right turns from Regency Road onto South Road in both the north and south direction;
- installation of concrete road barriers to separate the construction zone from road traffic and pedestrians;
- permanent closures of Wolseley Road, Minerva Crescent, Packard Avenue and Hudson Avenue at their junctions with South Road;
- installation of fencing and access gates around the construction site;
- installation of underground utility services and drainage systems;
- removal of redundant stobie poles along South Road; and
- earthworks, kerbing, asphalting and landscaping.
In August 2020, weather permitting, the R2P Project will implement a traffic switch which will involve traffic being moved onto the new South Road surface roads. This will enable works to commence on the new North-South Motorway, and allow traffic to continue to travel through the project area.
Works on South Road to construct the foundations to support the Regency Road overpass and offsite construction of the overpass at the Polonia Reserve compound, will commence from August 2020.